Sunday, September 12, 2010

Socalled





A few days ago was Rosh Hashanah, the new year in the Jewish calendar.
Shana Tova everyone :)
Anyway, that reminded me of an interesting jewish artist: Socalled. This is his last solo album to date. He also belongs to the band Abraham Inc. from which I uploaded an album a few days ago. More hip-hop oriented, this solo effort blends elements from Klezmer music [musical tradition of the Ashkenazic Jews of Eastern Europe] as well as funk and jazz. Socalled talks about the jewish culture from which he belongs and sing in many languages including Hebrew.
On "{Rock The} Belz", Socalled talks about his relation with the Jewish culture:
“I sing Jewish songs not because they are better than the songs of my neighbor but because they are mine. And unless I sing them, that part of the culture will vanish and that meadow of proliferating flowers, with a profusion of flowers, will have the Jewish flower missing. That’s why I sing Jewish songs.”
Really cool album.


Pretty fun clip video



Also while I was looking for some video to put on here, I found out about this documentary about him and his music that should be out this year. Here is the preview it looks just great!

No comments:

Post a Comment